Sit Spots are a great way to Get-Out-of-Doors with your students with minimal prep. It will take time for them to get in the routine but guarantee they will look forward to it if you do it often enough. Consider once a month to start or even once a season.
Thank you to Naomi Radawiec with School District 71-Comox Valley for the great sit spot resources. Check out her class book of sit spot experiences below, their class Math-in-Nature video, and her student sit-spot guides.
– I interviewed students asking the questions below
– it would be ideal to have volunteers or other staff to help interview so that you could get it done faster
– Or you could get them to write themselves to answer the questions rather than you interviewing them.
Questions for interviews
– Tell me about your sit spot. What do you see, hear, smell, touch, feel (emotions) and wonder?
– What do you like about learning in nature?
– What can we learn from nature?
– How can we take care of the earth?
– Why is it important to take care of the earth?