Mountain Travel & Winter Activity Considerations
District Approved Mountain Transportation:
*** Please contact Main-Road Contracting if utilizing the areas around Anderson Hill and Rampart Hill. In the communications please indicate you are a school group, include your school name, your name, the date, time, and location you will be playing.
Email Danny– email@example.com
- All district approved transportation is approved to go up Mount Washington’s Strathcona Parkway Road. Click HERE for all district approved transportation contractors
- INTERNATIONAL MINI-BUS
- All three of the International Mini-Busses are equipped with winter tires
- Be sure to practice putting on mini-bus chains prior to trip
- Driver must have a valid class four drivers license
- PARENT DRIVERS:
- A parent drivers must have winter tires and chains traveling up to Mount Washington. Please have parents fill out all necessary volunteers driving forms prior to trip.
- Volunteer Driver Application–completed each trip
- Copy of drivers license and insurance– once a year, keep on school file
- ICBC- Competed Drivers Abstract– once a year, keep on school file
- Criminal Record Check – once a year, keep on school file ***only required for overnight trips
Forms needed for mountain activities:
- Proposal for High Risk Activities
- Parent Guardian Informed Consent
NEW – District snowshoes now available!
Click HERE for snowshoe info. and bookings
Book Snowshoes HERE!
For west coast winter weather it is best to dress for BOTH wet and cold.
Please contact Serina Allison if you would like a below zero workshop for the 2021/22 school year.
OCC-Field Leader Certificate & Winter Module
Environmental & Outdoor Learning and SD71 are offering a Field Leadership Certification through the Outdoor Council of Canada (OCC). The Field Leadership Certification is OCC’s base program with the opportunity to extend into the winter module. The two day course will prepare you to bring your students into front country hiking and snowshoeing areas.
Click HERE for more information about OCC-Field Leader and winter module certification
Registration: contact Serina Allison firstname.lastname@example.org – 250.650.6421
Cost: Free for SD71 teachers (includes membership to OCC)
Course Date: Contact Serina Allison if you would like this course available for the 2021/22 school year